Oscars Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 Oscars smoked ham steak with bone (approx. 2lb.)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, saute onions and celery in oil. Add the split peas, ham bone, and enough water to cover the ingredients; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and cook until there are no pease left, just a green liquid, about 2 hours. While it is cooking, cut the ham steak into small bite size pieces and add to the soup, check periodically to see if water has evaporated. You may need to add more water as the soup continues to cook. Add chopped carrots after the first hour of cooking.
- Once the soup is a green liquid remove from heat, and let stand so it will thicken. Once thickend you may need to heat through to serve. You can always add a little more liquid as required.
- Serve the soup with some heary bread, your favorite beverage, and enjoy!