Oscars Bacon-Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Oscar’s 3 year old cheddar cheese
- 2 1/4+ cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, hot or mild according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices Oscar’s Hickory smoked bacon, cooked until crisp, blotted on paper towels and finely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chilled bacon fat
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pulse the cheese, flour, baking powder, sugar, chili powder and salt in a food processor until the cheese is well blended. Add the bacon and chives, pulse a couple of times, then add the bacon fat and butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine the milk and egg, add to the processor and pulse until the mixture is moistened and begins to pull together in a ball. DO NOT OVER-MIX.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board and knead about 10-15 times, until the mixture no longer sticks to the board, adding a little more flour if needed, then flatten it into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Using a sharp 3-inch round cutter, press straight down into the dough. Remove the circles without twisting the dough and place them on an oiled, parchment paper-lined, or non-stick cookie sheet. Bake until the biscuits are risen and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove and serve warm with butter and honey and ENJOY!!